Husaberg
Go Back   Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Mechanical Mechanical Forum - spinning bits and gyrating bobs


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
August 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: The Netherlands

Posts: 470
Thanks: 13

I Ride:
Starting problem Husaberg FE400 '03

I Am having a start problem with my Husaberg FE400

My bike starts very bad, especially with cold or semi-cold engine..
My procedure:
-Both fuel loops set to 'on'
-Pull my choke out and twist it 90 degrees so it stays 'on'
-Switch my contact key to the right
-Press my foot on the kickstarter, pull my manual decompression switch, push my kickstarter +-10cm down, let it come back up and kick it all the way down.
But this won't have anny effect??, I was't able to start the bike one time with the kickstarter...
If I try to start it with the elec starter it is very hard too. But when it runs af a while it does run very smooth and there is just no problem at all, I dont hear any cracks or odd sound of the enine.

Can this be my sparkplug which might be worn?
Or do I have to ajust my valve's play?
I tried to get my sparkplug out of my head, but i can't get to it with any tool?? My special bougie tool can't get in the head??

I did already read the 'hard starting guide' and will clean my carb and check my valve's tomorrow..
ElSnorro is offline  
 
August 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
nsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
From: nova scotia

Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 14

I Ride:
RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

Apparenty there art a number of 02-03 dellorto equiped 400 models that are missing the emulsion tube above the pilot jet.It results in the symtoms you describe.Worth a check for sure!
nsman is offline  
August 18th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: The Netherlands

Posts: 470
Thanks: 13

I Ride:
Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

Originally Posted by nsman
Apparenty there art a number of 02-03 dellorto equiped 400 models that are missing the emulsion tube above the pilot jet.It results in the symtoms you describe.Worth a check for sure!
Ok..
Where can I find that emulsion tube?
I need to open the carb itself or can i see it from the outside?
ElSnorro is offline  
August 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2001
From: Ely, England

Posts: 15,609
Thanks: 441

I Ride: Husaberg FE501e 2003
RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

it's in carburation in the doc my man. did you really need to ask?!?!

regards

Taffy
Taffy is offline  
August 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2004
From: Kenyonville New York

Posts: 98
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

FE400s are notorious finicky starters. Keep the battery fully charged. Mine stays on a battery tender at all times. When I kick it over cold, I pull in the decomp lever, 2-3 kicks, release lever and give it a good mule kick. this works 80% of the time. The other 20% take two healthy kicks.
bksavs is offline  
August 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2005
From: Mesa, AZ

Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 3

I Ride:
RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

BK where have you been? Long time...
LeFrog is offline  
August 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: The Netherlands

Posts: 470
Thanks: 13

I Ride:
Re: RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

Originally Posted by bksavs
FE400s are notorious finicky starters. Keep the battery fully charged. Mine stays on a battery tender at all times. When I kick it over cold, I pull in the decomp lever, 2-3 kicks, release lever and give it a good mule kick. this works 80% of the time. The other 20% take two healthy kicks.
Thanks for the advice.
Do you have any explanation for this worse starting issue?
Is there a fix for it?
ElSnorro is offline  
August 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: mid-wales, uk

Posts: 1,778
Thanks: 3

I Ride: Bikes
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

theres a thread somewhere about problems i had with my '03 400.
at the time i was ready to dump it in the street and set fire to it.
tried everything.
then found a local chap who was husaberg trained. gave it to him for a morning and it was sorted.
what he explained was that there was no 1 thing that was really out of whack but several small things that were very slightly out and this meant it wouldn't start.
if i recall the valve clearances, decompressor settings and carb settings were all very slightly out and the combination of the 3 caused the problems.
this could be another cause of your starting problems.

my advice though would be to get it going then swap the carb to a fcr39. about the best mod you can do
cypher is offline  
August 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #9
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2006
From: The Netherlands

Posts: 37
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

Originally Posted by ElSnorro
Originally Posted by bksavs
FE400s are notorious finicky starters. Keep the battery fully charged. Mine stays on a battery tender at all times. When I kick it over cold, I pull in the decomp lever, 2-3 kicks, release lever and give it a good mule kick. this works 80% of the time. The other 20% take two healthy kicks.
Thanks for the advice.
Do you have any explanation for this worse starting issue?
Is there a fix for it?
Hee Snorremans,

I have the same bike.
It had the same problems and it is not really one item that goes wrong. Sarting with this model is poor anyway and what you can do best is to keep it in perfect condition. That means set the valves regularly, clean the carb, especially the idle air circuit, change the sparkplug cap if you don't trust it and make sure the ignition is OK. Check the resistance values of the ignition coil. But the best advise is indeed to get rid of the dellorto. With a properly set up keihin it starts and goes so much better.

Arjen
arjen is offline  
August 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2007
From: The Netherlands

Posts: 470
Thanks: 13

I Ride:
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Starting problem Husaberg FE400

Thnx arjen.
I will clean the carb this evening and set my valves if I have enough time..
I was looking for a Keihin FCR39 but i can't find it second hand.. And a new carb is too much $$ for me.
I saw a Mikuni TMR40 (is a carb from a ktm 640), can this be a good alternative for the dell 'orto?
ElSnorro is offline  
Reply

  Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Tags
fe400, husaberg, problem, starting



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 husaberg fc 600 starting problem ? nathan95fc600 Husaberg 18 July 10th, 2013 01:15 PM
Starting problem Husaberg 650 2002 haakaberg Mechanical 8 August 22nd, 2009 04:38 AM
Kick starting an FE400 - technique? rmgcook Mechanical 25 June 23rd, 2008 02:15 PM
02 FE400 Starting Issues Cuffy Mechanical 7 May 3rd, 2007 04:52 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed