Husaberg
Go Back   Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Mechanical Mechanical Forum - spinning bits and gyrating bobs


Thanks Tree2Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
August 11th, 2019, 10:50 AM   #21
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: Ontario

Posts: 32
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 97 KTM SX 250 2 stroke and 04 husaberg 450fe
Originally Posted by Vandor501 View Post
You will notice while turning flywheel that the valves will open after another with pistong moving through intake and exhaust stroke but then move upwards without any valves opening, that your true TDC

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
Okay so when I’m at true tdc when the valves both open on the stroke and I turn the flywheel to the 9oclock mark no valves should move and should be both in the up position ?? Like I can turn the fly wheel back and forth and no valves will move and there both open (closed) is this right tdc??
Chrisfe450canadian is offline  
 
August 11th, 2019, 12:15 PM   #22
Member
 
Vandor501's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2019
From: Sweden

Posts: 33
Thanks: 4

I Ride: '08 FE450e Supermoto & '02 CR250R
Yeah it should, be. Study this gif if it pops up, 2nd stroke on top is TDC when ignition occurs with both valves fully closed. You can see the CAMS in the GIF not pushing down and opening/ engageing valves. Again watch the YT videod and you will be good! I feel sorry for you as Taffy only seems to have confused the crap out of you lol. Compare your crank/cams and you will learn to see how it works.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Ortho_3D.gif

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
Vandor501 is offline  
August 11th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #23
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: Ontario

Posts: 32
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 97 KTM SX 250 2 stroke and 04 husaberg 450fe
Originally Posted by Vandor501 View Post
Yeah it should, be. Study this gif if it pops up, 2nd stroke on top is TDC when ignition occurs with both valves fully closed. You can see the CAMS in the GIF not pushing down and opening/ engageing valves. Again watch the YT videod and you will be good! I feel sorry for you as Taffy only seems to have confused the crap out of you lol. Compare your crank/cams and you will learn to see how it works.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Ortho_3D.gif

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
Ok thank you it came up, I’m pretty sure I got it in the right spot now thank you, so on the second stroke is when they are adjusted at tdc ? for adjusting is the 1/6 method accurate and good to do or am I better off getting a feeler gauge ?

Last edited by Chrisfe450canadian; August 11th, 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Chrisfe450canadian is offline  
August 11th, 2019, 10:33 PM   #24
Member
 
Vandor501's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2019
From: Sweden

Posts: 33
Thanks: 4

I Ride: '08 FE450e Supermoto & '02 CR250R
A feeler gage is always good to have. But the 1/6th turn out works fine! I've adjusted it that way and it works perfectly. Also my cousin has for over 15 years on his 650 so I'd rely on it.

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
Vandor501 is offline  
August 12th, 2019, 07:31 AM   #25
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: Ontario

Posts: 32
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 97 KTM SX 250 2 stroke and 04 husaberg 450fe
Originally Posted by Vandor501 View Post
A feeler gage is always good to have. But the 1/6th turn out works fine! I've adjusted it that way and it works perfectly. Also my cousin has for over 15 years on his 650 so I'd rely on it.

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
Ok thank you I'm gonna try and find a feeler gauge today just to be sure I'm doing it right I only have .012 and I'm pretty sure it says 0.12 I'm the manual so I think the one I have is the wrong size so gonna check the auto parts store today

Last edited by Chrisfe450canadian; August 12th, 2019 at 07:34 AM.
Chrisfe450canadian is offline  
August 12th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #26
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Alameda, CA

Posts: 56
Thanks: 10

I Ride: FE570,FS570,450/520XCF SM, SV1000, NC700
You might be confusing inch vs mm gauges

if you have a .012 gauge, that's inch and equal to 0.30mm

I have friends who have mixed that up before (I think spec on his bike was intake .004-.006 exhaust .006-.008 but stated in metric so intake .10mm-.15mm, exhaust .15mm-.20mm). He mistakenly used inch gauges with approximately the same number - setting intake to .012" and exhaust to .018", meaning both were fully double what they should have been.

I don't think he caused any real damage, as it made enough noise that he didn't run it long, but it's an easy mistake to make and frustrating having to open it back up and fix it.
Junkie is offline  
August 13th, 2019, 01:02 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2001
From: Ely, England

Posts: 15,701
Thanks: 451

I Ride: Husaberg FE501e 2003
Originally Posted by Chrisfe450canadian View Post
for adjusting, is the 1/6 method accurate and good to do or, am I better off getting a feeler gauge?
1/6th everytime. don't bother with feeler gauges.

and always make sure you can make a morse code with the rocker arm afterwards and that it can be heard by the rear number plate but no further. that will tell you whether you were a loose 1/6th or a tight 1/6th.

cheers

Taffy
Taffy is offline  
August 13th, 2019, 01:27 PM   #28
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: Ontario

Posts: 32
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 97 KTM SX 250 2 stroke and 04 husaberg 450fe
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
1/6th everytime. don't bother with feeler gauges.

and always make sure you can make a morse code with the rocker arm afterwards and that it can be heard by the rear number plate but no further. that will tell you whether you were a loose 1/6th or a tight 1/6th.

cheers

Taffy
Thanks what do you mean by Morse code with rocker arm? What exactly is that and the process behind it? Thanks
Chrisfe450canadian is offline  
August 13th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #29
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Alameda, CA

Posts: 56
Thanks: 10

I Ride: FE570,FS570,450/520XCF SM, SV1000, NC700
He means that you should be able to wiggle the rocker arm up and down enough to hear a significant click (similar to the clicks you hear in morse code)
Junkie is offline  
August 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM   #30
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: Ontario

Posts: 32
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 97 KTM SX 250 2 stroke and 04 husaberg 450fe
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
He means that you should be able to wiggle the rocker arm up and down enough to hear a significant click (similar to the clicks you hear in morse code)
Ok Ok thanks , i ordered feeler gauges there Gonna be in tomorrow I just got them to be sure I do the 1/6 turn properly and to see what the clearances were at. right now the exsaust side rockers wiggles a little more then my intake rockers would that mean the intake are tighter. I’m gonna work on it in the morning try and get it finished. My motor didn’t make any noticeable sounds or anything just I notice the decompression didn’t seem to be working properly and I hear it could be because the clearances being to tight is this true ? I just wanted to check valves cuz don’t think previous owner did anything to it. Bike only has 70 hours 2400km
Chrisfe450canadian is offline  
Reply

  Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Tags
450fe, adjustment, tdc, valve



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
450 fe valve adjustment Brooh SuperMoto 0 April 16th, 2016 04:50 AM
First valve adjustment etc Boozer Mechanical 9 October 9th, 2008 09:59 AM
valve adjustment piggd Mechanical 13 August 29th, 2008 08:43 AM
What if? valve adjustment! boheme Mechanical 3 February 28th, 2006 08:53 PM
valve adjustment whosahberg Mechanical 14 January 1st, 2006 08:32 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed