Husaberg
Go Back   Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Mechanical Mechanical Forum - spinning bits and gyrating bobs


Thanks Tree27Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
November 8th, 2018, 02:16 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: Australia, Beechworth, Vic.

Posts: 440
Thanks: 222

I Ride: when I can which isn't often enough. FX450, FE570
Excellent price on what sounds like an excellent piston.

How will you go for weight?
Alan is offline  
 
November 8th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
polska's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Burlington

Posts: 355
Thanks: 129

I Ride: '07Exc 525 & '07 FS 550.Just sold ' 08 Ktm 450 sxf.
Weight is unknown at this time. I'm not too concerned about this. Will have to put up with whatever it is. My goal is a piston for 1000 engine hours.
polska is offline  
November 9th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
bushmechanic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: south east WA Australia

Posts: 3,837
Thanks: 1160

I Ride: 2008 700FK, 2002 628FST
I'm interested but need to know weight and exact dimensions before committing

Cheers !
bushmechanic is offline  
November 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
polska's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Burlington

Posts: 355
Thanks: 129

I Ride: '07Exc 525 & '07 FS 550.Just sold ' 08 Ktm 450 sxf.
Originally Posted by bushmechanic View Post
I'm interested but need to know weight and exact dimensions before committing

Cheers !
Have to wait for the weight until they receive my sample. Can you help me to choose darton sleeve? Do you have any part numbers or specific information on it? Sleeve will dictate a act diameter and at this time not decided yet. Perhaps something that you or somebody else used before around 105mm. I think Darton has excellent and prefered quality sleeves.
polska is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 12:18 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
bushmechanic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: south east WA Australia

Posts: 3,837
Thanks: 1160

I Ride: 2008 700FK, 2002 628FST
Hi there I'm traveling at the moment will get back to you when I get home cheers !
Thanks from tourist
bushmechanic is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 04:04 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
thorgan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
From: Sacramento California

Posts: 147
Thanks: 128

I Ride: "2000" FE600, 1996 FC660, 2015 Beta Xtrainer
Originally Posted by polska View Post
Have to wait for the weight until they receive my sample. Can you help me to choose darton sleeve? Do you have any part numbers or specific information on it? Sleeve will dictate a act diameter and at this time not decided yet. Perhaps something that you or somebody else used before around 105mm. I think Darton has excellent and prefered quality sleeves.
When I had Travis put my 660 together, he wanted to have the piston so he could measure it and determine the final hone diameter for the sleeve. So, the piston comes before the sleeve...or at least for the pressed-in sleeve for my older/separate cylinder engine.

Especially for $220, you can consider me in. I just picked up a 2001 FE501 that'll likely need a rebuild in the near future. Might be nice to have a piston all ready to go for that.

Maybe you guys can educate me on the liner o-rings. If making a custom liner, wouldn't it be possible to just design for the smallest cross section o-ring, or are the oem o-rings already the small (I think the small o-rings are .060" thick) section? Clearly I've never had one of these engines apart - I sold my '08 before it needed to be split.
thorgan is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 06:20 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
polska's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Burlington

Posts: 355
Thanks: 129

I Ride: '07Exc 525 & '07 FS 550.Just sold ' 08 Ktm 450 sxf.
I'm counting on some commitments to buy it from me. It sucks that minimum order is 12. I have two 550 and 644 so I need 3 Pistons with 23.5mm compression height. 628 needs 24.5mm. I think that most people would have this engine. So I'm thinking of getting twelve of those too. Plus twelve sleeves. Am I crazy to spend so much coin hoping that someone would buy it from me? I will post on Husaberg
Facebook too.
polska is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 07:07 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
thorgan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
From: Sacramento California

Posts: 147
Thanks: 128

I Ride: "2000" FE600, 1996 FC660, 2015 Beta Xtrainer
If you just made them all to the 24.5mm compression height, and with 1mm deeper valve reliefs, couldn't you just have the ones you need at 23.5mm faced off to that from 24.5mm?

Also, a note of caution, you may want to measure your piston height at TDC to the top of the liner for each engine. You may need something other than 23.5/24.5 mm to get ideal quench. That's the part I missed when selecting parts for my 660. I thought I'd need a piston with 23.5mm compression height (stock for the 600) to go with the custom Carillo at 130mm (stock for the 600). However, if I had done a better job of measuring when disassembling, I would have found that I needed a longer rod. We ended up switching to a KTM 560 SMR piston (24.5mm) from the 'Berg 550 Wossner I had originally purchased for the project (23.5mm) and then Travis still had to deck the cylinder down and install a manual cam chain tensioner to get the quench into a reasonable gap but still have enough throw to tension the chain.

My plan for the 501 (to turn it into a 606) will be to use your piston and design a custom Carillo rod to accommodate it based on careful measurement at disassembly.

Oh, and I imagine that I could just cut down one of your sleeves to work in the 501 cases? Maybe I should commit to buying one of those as well.
thorgan is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 08:04 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
polska's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Burlington

Posts: 355
Thanks: 129

I Ride: '07Exc 525 & '07 FS 550.Just sold ' 08 Ktm 450 sxf.
Originally Posted by thorgan View Post
If you just made them all to the 24.5mm compression height, and with 1mm deeper valve reliefs, couldn't you just have the ones you need at 23.5mm faced off to that from 24.5mm?

Also, a note of caution, you may want to measure your piston height at TDC to the top of the liner for each engine. You may need something other than 23.5/24.5 mm to get ideal quench. That's the part I missed when selecting parts for my 660. I thought I'd need a piston with 23.5mm compression height (stock for the 600) to go with the custom Carillo at 130mm (stock for the 600). However, if I had done a better job of measuring when disassembling, I would have found that I needed a longer rod. We ended up switching to a KTM 560 SMR piston (24.5mm) from the 'Berg 550 Wossner I had originally purchased for the project (23.5mm) and then Travis still had to deck the cylinder down and install a manual cam chain tensioner to get the quench into a reasonable gap but still have enough throw to tension the chain.

My plan for the 501 (to turn it into a 606) will be to use your piston and design a custom Carillo rod to accommodate it based on careful measurement at disassembly.

Oh, and I imagine that I could just cut down one of your sleeves to work in the 501 cases? Maybe I should commit to buying one of those as well.
You are right that we can get 23.5 mm from 24.5mm and all would be covered. But it would require machining. For me and some others it is pain in the ars. I'm trying to make drop in big bore that lasts 1000 engine hours. I'm. Taking 3 Pistons for myself at 23.5mm and three at 24.5mm. I'll keep two Liners. The rest will be available. Maybe I'll get three Liners for 550 too. I'd keep two.
Thanks from thorgan
polska is offline  
November 12th, 2018, 11:02 PM   #30
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2017
From: Brisbane

Posts: 36
Thanks: 12

I Ride:
Westwood will do liner for 145gbp.discounts start when ordering 10 or more.
76model is online now  
Reply

  Husaberg Forum > Mechanical and Technical > Mechanical

Tags
104mm, buy, group, piston



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
105mm Piston - Group buy? Goose916 Mechanical 64 August 22nd, 2016 11:54 AM
Want To Buy: 105mm Wiseco Piston Group Buy - Who is in? Goose916 Want To Buy 19 May 12th, 2016 08:11 PM
Supermoto group pollo SuperMoto 1 August 20th, 2015 01:26 PM
SpeedTalk software group buy! tourist Tech 7 March 23rd, 2015 10:16 AM
Leo Vince Group Buy RenazcoRacing Marketplace 6 October 29th, 2010 08:10 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed