Husaberg
Go Back   Husaberg Forum > Husaberg Forum > Husaberg

Husaberg Husaberg Forum - Husaberg Motorcycle Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 14
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Or they are stuck without a clutch lever or brake lever because they don't carry a spare.
First ride on my FX450 on the weekend, Pushed the bike over before I rode it so I wouldn't be to "precious" about it in the bush.
Bloke the clutch lever before I even rode it... snapped at the lever weak point. Still ridable.

Brush guards didn't do much in the bush, but iv also herd of people breaking wrists with bark busters.
tox1k is offline  
 
May 30th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: southern hemisphere

Posts: 201
Thanks: 15

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Originally Posted by 08FE650
Not really a fan of how you say the handguards have to go and bark busters are required. Do you have any idea how many wrists have been broken due to barkbusters? I'll never run them.
to date i'm not aware of any comprehensive longitudinal study on wrist/arm fractures from barkbusters and relative stats on mashed fingers from a lack of barkbusters, so i don't have any idea on those numbers . however, i know a lot of guys rotate their barkbusters down to reduce the chances of wrist fractures if they go over the bars and forget to hang on; i've done this and rotated the levers downward as i stand on the pegs most of the time.

but point taken, barkbusters shouldn't be a "must do" mod to the berg. a lot of these issues really need some kind of serious study and stats. e.g. i only bought proper knee braces when a comprehensive study worked out it halves your chances of knee damage when dirt riding.
hoosie5seventy is offline  
May 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #13
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Brisbane - Down Under

Posts: 35
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Only once have I heard of a guy snapping wrists with barkbusters. He went over the bars and his hands stayed behind, 2 wrists clean broken and he was 3 kilometers from home. Luckily a friend was with him and nursed him back to help.

I have always used wrap around protectors despite this story. The number of levers I have broken on my mx bike are countless, the number saved on my enduro...priceless.
bigberger is offline  
May 30th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #14
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Townsville Australia

Posts: 83
Thanks: 2

I Ride: 2008 FE650
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Yeah I suppose I had never really thought about it like that. I just figured I'd rather smash my hand then snap my wrist. I'd never really considered it a mate that pointed it out when I mentioned getting some, he's raced MX pretty much his whole life and talked me out of it. Did a bit of a google search then and theres definetly people out there that have done it.
08FE650 is offline  
May 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Nor Cal

Posts: 59
Thanks: 0

I Ride: '06 BMW R1200GS, '11 Husaberg FE570S
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Originally Posted by 08FE650
Not really a fan of how you say the handguards have to go and bark busters are required. Do you have any idea how many wrists have been broken due to barkbusters? I'll never run them.
Do you know how many people have been killed crossing the road. Or driving in cars... In fact I think I'm just going to stay indoors and wrap myself in bubble wrap. Oh, hang on... maybe that's not such a good idea either.

Clearly you don't ride much wooded single-track. If I didn't have my HDB guards by now I'd either have no clutch/brake levers or no fingers/knuckles.
bogeyman is offline  
June 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: southern hemisphere

Posts: 201
Thanks: 15

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Originally Posted by bogeyman
Do you know how many people have been killed crossing the road. Or driving in cars... In fact I think I'm just going to stay indoors and wrap myself in bubble wrap. Oh, hang on... maybe that's not such a good idea either.
Clearly you don't ride much wooded single-track. If I didn't have my HDB guards by now I'd either have no clutch/brake levers or no fingers/knuckles.
yeah, it probably comes down to the kind of riding you do. there's a similar debate over knee braces. some riders say they'd never wear them because it increases the risks of keeping your knee intact but can transfer the impact to your upper leg and break your femur. then if the bone cuts your femoral artery you can bleed out in about four minutes, even if it's not an exterior bleed. didn't read of any deaths, but it seems a few motocrossers have done their femurs wearing knee braces. i figured these are in the handful category, compared to thousands of guys with dodgy knees so it was a simple choice for me.

even neck braces get the same kind of debate. some guys reckon in a really big impact the brace could provide the wrong kind of leverage and actually result in internal decapitation . another debate with heaps of speculation but no hard figures.

as for barkbusters? without hard stats, hard to say. it looks like motocrossers tend to avoid barkbusters as there chances of going over the bars and breaking wrists are much higher than typical dirt riding, where it looks like a much smaller risk. but it still obviously happens. just gotta weight it up against the higher chances of broken levers and crushed fingers, and the kind of riding you do?
hoosie5seventy is offline  
June 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From:

Posts: 88
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

is it just me or has this discussion really messed up an otherwise informative thread?
UPSguy is offline  
June 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East TN

Posts: 4
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Originally Posted by UPSguy
is it just me or has this discussion really messed up an otherwise informative thread?
YES!!!
BERGinTN is offline  
June 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: NSW, Australia

Posts: 50
Thanks: 0

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Steering Stop Bolts (L & R): Mine were wound quite a long way out hampering the turning circle of the bike. If you ride rocky technical terrian terrain or want to chuch a u-turn on a firetrail it's MUCH easier with the bolts wound in some. Just check there are no clashes when at full lock. If the cables on the RHS side of the steering head are tucked behind the fuel breather then there is no drama. The ECU/CDI on the LHS is shaped such that the fork tube will not strike it through the natural steering arc.

Removing the ball from the filler cap: It might be recommended, however, if your bike is laid on it's side it will our fuel out of the tank cap breather.

Fuel Filter Sock: A good idea for extra filtration but it really slows down the fuelling up process.

Twitchy Throttle: I found after some messing around that rotating the throttle forward on the bars really helped with the control of the bike. I'd like to have it farther forward than I have it now but the brake master cylinder gets in the way. Worth trying before running out and buying a throttle cam or the like.
moto is offline  
June 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: southern hemisphere

Posts: 201
Thanks: 15

I Ride:
Re: Buying a new FE570? Known issues, problems & common mods

Originally Posted by moto
Steering Stop Bolts (L & R): Mine were wound quite a long way out hampering the turning circle of the bike.
Removing the ball from the filler cap: It might be recommended, however, if your bike is laid on it's side it will our fuel out of the tank cap breather.
Twitchy Throttle: I found after some messing around that rotating the throttle forward on the bars really helped with the control of the bike.
good calls. yeah, forgot to mention the steering stop bolts. i screwed them almost all the way in and made a big difference, the oil tanker steering circle of the TE610 and kato 690R was a real hassle in tight stuff.

why do some guys remove the ball from the filler cap? i just put in because others had mentioned it, but couldnt think of a good reason for doing this.

re: editing posts... i was revising my original post every time someone came up with new issues or revised tips so readers didn't have to trawl through the whole thread, but it looks like i was limited to six edits and now i can't change the original post any more. looked through all the FAQs for this forum and couldn't find a way to contact the administrators. any suggestions on how i can get more than six edits?
hoosie5seventy is offline  
Reply

  Husaberg Forum > Husaberg Forum > Husaberg

Tags
buying, common, fe570, issues, mods, problems



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 FE570 starting issues and fix Haskell Mechanical 2 January 13th, 2011 01:54 AM
2010 FE570, Standard exhaust mods? nick790 Exhausts 1 November 21st, 2010 06:22 AM
'09 FE570 Issues??? duckracer Husaberg 20 August 30th, 2010 12:19 AM
1 Year on, any problems with FE570's yet ?? eyspy Husaberg 4 October 28th, 2009 08:31 AM
2009 FE570 Mods? ozbika22 Husaberg 3 January 2nd, 2009 11:44 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed